Departments > Coos Health & Wellness > Public Health > Environmental Health > Motel, Hotel, Vacation Rentals



Tourist FacilitiesTourist facility” means any travelers’ accommodation, hostel, picnic park, recreation park and organizational camp. Travelers’ accommodation” includes any establishment, which is not a hostel, having rooms, apartments or sleeping facilities rented or kept for rent on a daily or weekly basis to travelers or transients for a charge or fee paid or to be paid for rental or use of facilities. 

RV Parks & Organization Camps Recreation park” means any area designated by the person establishing, operating, managing or maintaining the same for picnicking, overnight camping or use of recreational vehicles by the general public or any segment of the public. “Recreation park” includes but is not limited to areas open to use free of charge or through payment of a tax or fee or by virtue of rental, lease, license, membership, association or common ownership and further includes, but is not limited to, those areas divided into two or more lots, parcels, units or other interests for purposes of such use.  “Organizational camp” includes any area designated by the person establishing, operating, managing or maintaining the same for recreational use by groups or organizations that include but are not limited to youth camps, scout camps, summer camps, day camps, nature camps, survival camps, athletic camps, camps that are operated and maintained under the guidance, supervision or auspices of religious, public and private educational systems and community service organizations.

The owner of the RV park has the responsibility to keep the property safe.  These photos are examples of conditions that an owner should be aware of in a licensed RV park. 

Ideally the sewer line from the RV should run continuously down slope to the sewer riser.  Fecal waste and toilet paper will collect in a sewer line laying on the ground.  This will spill onto the ground if there is any crack in the flexible line or if the flexible sewer line is picked up in a haphazard way.  This condition can be avoided by requiring rv occupants to maintain a continuous sloping sewer line between the rv to the sewer riser.  Sewage or gray water on the ground when observed at the time of an inspection results in extra fees to an RV Park owner. 

There are numerous products for sale that are not legal for use.  A hose running between raw sewage and the water supply used for drinking and bathing is an illegal use illustrated in this photo.   Allowing an RV tenant to connect a water hose from the water supply of the RV park to the RV sewer piece is not considered safe and when observed at the time of an inspection results in extra fees to an rv park owner.  

Vacation RentalsVacation Rental” is synonymous with “Travelers’ Accommodation.”  A Vacation Rental (VR) is a type of Travelers’ Accommodation.  Essentially ORS 446.310(12) defines a “Travelers’ Accommodation” as an establishment having rooms or sleeping facilities rented on a daily or weekly basis for a charge. 

Steps to take in licensing a vacation rental:

1. ZONING: Are you zoned correctly? Obtain verification from the City or County that the VR is zoned correctly to operate as a VR.  If the VR is located outside the city limits, then a compliance determination is required from the County Planning Department.  This step must be completed first, before moving onto the next steps.

2. WATER SOURCE: Where is the water source coming from?  Municipal Water System, Spring or Private Well or Surface Water (Submission of water sample analysis results from an ORELAP certified lab is required)

  • Municipal Water System (MWS) - if your VR draws water from MWS, then you can move to the next step.
  • Spring or Private Well (SPW) - if your VR draws water from SPW, then the following steps will need to be completed before moving onto the next step:

Required routine Water Sampling: Coliform: Absence of total coliform bacteria and sampling is required 4 times a year - once in each calendar quarter; Nitrates:levels that don’t exceed 10.0 mg/l and sampling is required once a year; Arseniclevels that don’t exceed 0.050 mg/l and sampling is a one time during the life of the vacation rental. RULE

  • Surface Water: Since 1/1/05 use of any unapproved surface water for a tourist facility not continuously licensed from that date is forbidden.  STOP at this point - if your VR draws water from unapproved surface water (lake), CHW will not be able to issue a license until the VR draws water from a different source. 

3. SEPTIC: Is the VR on a Municipal Sewer or On-Site Septic System?  If the vacation rental uses an on-site system, be prepared to provide a copy of the DEQ approval paperwork along with an as-built drawing of the system.

4. HOT TUBS: Do you offer the use of an hot tub to your guest? If so, the following steps need to be followed:

  • Only one group of tenants can have access to the hot tub during a rental period
  • Hot tub access is restricted, kept locked between guests and excludes unsupervised children.
  • Treatment chemicals are secure and inaccessible to guests.
  • Written info is logically provided to an occupant and stating in effect:   “Your health, safety and comfort can be affected by the water quality in the hot tub. Our control of water temperature, disinfection and pH levels is necessary to do this.  If you are concerned about the quality of the water, discontinue use and call    name   at    phone number   for service.    The maximum number of users at one time for this spa is      .  (provided by the spa manufacturer)  persons.”
  • A clean appearance is maintained in the spa [water] and vicinity.  Draining the tub between guests is advised as well as documenting the date of draining.
  • Based on OAR 333-062-165 TABLE 1, safe levels are documented between guests for chlorine (1.5 – 5 ppm), combined chlorine (< 0.5 ppm), pH (7.2 - 7.6) and temperature (< 104 F).  Documentation of these measures and corrections as needed are required.  A DPD style test kit for measuring chlorine levels is required.

5. TOURIST ACCOMMODATION APPLICATION (TAA) and FEES: Once you have zoning approval from the City or County, you can submit the TOURIST ACCOMMODATION APPLICATION and Fee to CHW with a copy of the zoning letter. 

6.  INSPECTION: Once CHW receives the forms and fees from step 5, an inspection will be schedule to make sure the VR complies with rules OAR 333-029

Note: Among other legal means, for operating without a license:

  • The county can apply a penalty that essentially doubles the annual license fee (446.323) and can charge an operator criminally with a Class C violation (Coos County Code SECTION 06.07.050(3).   
  • The state can apply up to $1,000 civil penalty for operating without a license (ORS 446.347).  


Compliance Determination Application PDF

Tourist Facility License Application PDF

Vacation Rental Questionnaire PDF


The Oregon Health Authority provides some resources for licensed tourist facility operators. See: OHA Tourist Facilities & Public Pools


Contact Us

Environmental Health

Program Manager:

Rick Hallmark, EHS, MPA

Phone: 541-266-6744

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8 am  to 5 pm


Do you know you can read reports for your favorite restaurant, motel, pools and RV parks? Click on the link below.

To review inspection reports for a licensed facility in Coos County, just enter the name in the search box to see all inspections conducted since starting with the HealthSpace software.  All inspections have a 14-day delay before they are posted online.  Please check back if an inspection isn’t available to view yet.