Departments > Assessors > Map Information

NEWClick HERE for Webpage tutorial

Parcel lines are for assessment purposes only.  They may not align exactly with underlying images.





Jorene Smith
Cadastral Cartographer


Dan S

Dan Seals
Cadastral Cartographer





The Cartography Department of the Assessor’s office is the record keeper for the ownership of all property in Coos County, the plat map maintenance of those ownership boundaries and the taxing districts they are located in. Our oldest maps we have are from the 1960’s.  In the mid 1970’s the Dept of Revenue produced new maps for Coos County and set up our tax lot books to show the ownership history from that point forward.  We are currently in the process of having an outside company re-map all 1740+ assessment maps using current GPS points, survey’s and plats to meet ORMAP requirements and specifications and funding is through ORMAP.   This will greatly increase the accuracy of our maps and this project should be completed by 2013.

Our maps all carry a disclaimer stating they are for Assessment Purposes Only’. We process straight changes of ownership using recorded deeds, court documents or other legal documents.  We also process deeds, court documents or other legal documents that change property boundaries.  These include: segregations, property line adjustments, vacations, dedications, partition, subdivision and condominium plats, leases, annexations, consolidations and division of property.  Court documents include:  probate, divorce decrees, small estates.

Frequently asked mapping questions:

Q: How do I start the process to vacate an alley or street?

If the vacation is within a city, you would need to contact the city planning or engineering department.  If the vacation is outside a city, contact the county Planning Dept.

Q: I filed a Property Line Adjustment survey, but no assessment map change has been made?

You would need to record a Property Line Adjustment deed or other deed that meets all the requirements of ORS 92.190 (4).
If you are thinking of doing a property line adjustment, you should first contact the appropriate city or county  planning department  to make sure all land use laws and/or ordinances are met prior to the adjustment.

Q: I segregated a portion of my property, but am now told I can’t build on either piece?

We by law have to work a recorded document and divide a property following the description given in the deed.  We will make the change on our maps but this is for assessment purposes only and may not be in compliance with city or county land use laws and/or ordinances.  If you wish to divide property, you may wish to contact the appropriate city or county planning department to make sure all land use laws and/or ordinances are met prior to recording the deed.

Q: I have one tax lot but why do I get two (2) tax bills?

Your property is situated across the boundary line of two different tax code areas. When the boundary line crosses your property anywhere other than right on the property line between you and your next door neighbor, it creates a "Code Split". Part of your property is in each of the districts. The value of the property in each separate area will have a separate tax account. Prior to 2014, you may have received a separate statement for property in a rural fire protection district. This situation was a"Split Code", but our current system is able to calculate these fees without making a separate statement.

If you have a manufactured structure (MFS) that hasn't been de-titled yet, you will receive one tax statement for the MFS, and a separate statement for the land. Any additional structures will be assessed with the land account.

Q: The deed where I took title says my acreage is 6.42 acres but the assessmentmap shows 6.91 acres…why?

Generally, the acreage shown on a deed, especially an old deed, is the least reliable source we use.  We will use a survey acreage over any other source, followed by computer acreage, mathematical calculated acreage and finally deed acreage.

Q: What do I need to do to add my new married name to my tax account?

You can record a deed from yourself (old last name) to yourself (new last name); or You can fill out a Request for Name Change form from our office and provide us with a copy of your marriage certificate and we will change title for our records.  This form is available online and there is a $20.00 fee.

Q: My spouse is deceased and I need to remove his (her) name from my tax account.

If title was taken as Husband & Wife or Tenants by the Entirety we can remove the deceased name with a copy of the death certificate or by recording the death certificate.

Q: Title was taken with survivorship and one party is deceased and I need to remove his/her name from my tax account?

We can remove the name from our records by providing us with a copy of the death certificate or by recording the death certificate.

Q: Why is the road leading to my property not shown on your map? It has a name on it.

It is probably only an easement and we do not generally show easements on our maps.